Skip to main content
We’ve partnered with the WA Government to provide additional COVID-19 support for small business and charities with a $500 offset. Find out more

Connecting and disconnecting

How do I apply for an underground connection?

If you are building a house or business, an underground connection will automatically be installed and the costs associated with this will be included in the connection quote we provide.

If you are renovating or have decided you would like to install underground power from the street pole to the meter box, you will need to submit an Application for underground supply in an overhead area, available at the link below. 

More information

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Fill in the form below or view our contact details to get in touch.

* Indicates a mandatory field.

Get in touch

Residential Account Enquiries:
1800 267 926
(8 am - 5 pm weekdays)

Business Account Enquiries:
1800 737 036
(8 am - 5 pm weekdays)

View all contact details