Find out how Horizon Power and the WA Government are supporting you through COVID-19 and learn about the $600 WA Household Electricity Credit. Find out moreClose
Are you using electricity safely?
Electricity is a dangerous product. Follow our guide to help keep you and your family safe.
- Always turn off appliances that are not in use.
- Hold the plug, not the cord, to remove an appliance from a power point.
- Use only one double adaptor per power point.
- Stop using an appliance immediately if it becomes faulty and get it checked by a licensed electrical contractor before using it again.
- Take care not to stretch or damage electrical cords. If a cord is damaged, do not use the appliance. If a cord is wound on a reel, unwind it before use to avoid it overheating.
- Always ensure your hands are dry before touching appliances or switches. Avoid using electrical appliances in the bathroom.
- Ensure outdoor power points are weatherproof, approved and suitable for outdoor use.
- Only use party lights that are suitable for outdoor use and string them away from pools and other water sources.
- Ensure you have Residual Current Devices (RCDs) installed and test these every three months. When an RCD detects a problem with your power supply, it switches the power off within 10 to 50 milliseconds to prevent electric shock.
- Be aware of electrical infrastructure on your property such as underground electricity green domes or mini pillars which contain live electricity cables and can cause electric shock or electrocution if exposed.
- Report electric shocks or a tingling feeling from taps or water pipes. Switch off the power at the main switch and call Horizon Power immediately on 13 23 51.
Report any electrical incidents or faults to Horizon Power immediately on 13 23 51.
In an emergency situation, call 000.
- Never attempt to carry out electrical work unless you are a licensed electrical contractor. Electrical work includes re-wiring or replacing power points, moving or replacing light switches and the installation of permanently connected appliances such as ceiling fans.
- Never remove a plug from a power point until the appliance has been turned off.
- Do not touch electrical appliances if you are wet or near water. Water and electricity do not mix.
- Never use or leave electrical appliances where they can fall into water. Only clean or submerge appliances in water if the manufacturer’s instructions clearly state that it is safe to do so. If liquid spills into an electrical appliance, unplug it and have it checked by a licensed electrical contractor before using it again.
- Never insert metal objects into an appliance or power point. Safety covers prevent or discourage children from doing this and are available from department/hardware stores.
- Never leave electrical appliances unattended around children.
- Never use portable appliances, power tools or extension leads in water or when it is raining. If you have a generator, use on a dry surface. Do not allow it to get wet. It should also have an isolation switch.