Electric shocks and tingles
Electric shocks or tingles are warning signs of an electrical fault, which could cause serious harm or death if ignored
Shocks or tingles can come from any number of places on your property that have electrical wiring or metal components. These could be appliances, water pipes, metal taps, power points and any other conductor of electricity.
If you hear or see anything relating to a shock or tingle at your home or business, report it to us immediately on 13 23 51 and follow three simple steps.
What to do
Step 1. Identify the location of the incident. Don’t touch the area where a shock or tingle has occurred.
Step 2. Immediately call Horizon Power on 13 23 51. Our contact centre team will prioritise your call.
Step 3. While you’re waiting for us to attend the site, block off the area to make it safe and make sure no one goes near the site.
What happens next?
Our Horizon Power crew and Electrical Inspectors will need to access the site to investigate. Our team will inspect our network meter. The Electrical Inspector will investigate the electrical installation.
There is a possibility a Fault Note or Inspectors Order may be issued which may require some or all of the power to be switched off temporarily. This is never the outcome we want, but it may be essential to protect you and the people in your home or business.
If the fault is with the network, there’s no need to worry. We’ll take care of it. In the case that it’s a fault on your property, you’ll be required to get an electrical contractor to fix the issue. We know it’s a pain, but it’s the safest thing for everyone until the issue is resolved. A shock or tingle can seem insignificant but can result in serious injury or death if ignored.
Should I turn the power off at my property if I experience an electric shock?
The switchboard enclosure that contains your property’s main electricity switch will most likely be metallic and should not be touched. The safest approach is to avoid touching any exposed metallic surface until our crew can carry out the necessary safety checks at your property.
If there is a serious incident or death
The incident areas or premises will be isolated and may be closed until the investigation has been completed and the area deemed safe and rectified by an electrical contractor.
You are required to report electrical faults on your property as soon as you hear about them. It’s a requirement because people’s lives are at risk. If you are a business, you may need to shut down temporarily because it’s the safest thing to do.
So, remember 13 23 51