Albany Roller Derby League has won the prestigious Horizon Power Leadership and Innovation Award at the 2019 Regional Achievement and Community Awards and was presented by Jodie Lynch, Horizon Power’s West Kimberley Retail & Community Manager. Albany Roller Derby League won the Award from a strong field of community contributors.
The winners were announced on Friday, 18th October at the Hyatt Regency Perth, hosted by Noel Brunning, Presenter, GWN7 News.
From across the State, 460 guests gathered, including official guest Hon. Darren West MLC, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Regional Development; Agriculture and Food; Ports; Minister assisting the Minister for State Development, Jobs and Trade representing Hon. Alannah MacTiernan MLC, Minister for Regional Development; Agriculture and Food; Minister Assisting the Minister for State Development, Jobs and Trade, to celebrate regional Western Australia’s high achievers.
Albany Roller Derby League of Spencer Park has redefined volunteerism and leadership. They built a sporting club and a one-of-a-kind venue, run solely by volunteers who rely on fundraising and a passion to achieve the dream. The specialised venue called “The Track” has since become the site of multiple community swap meets, subleasing at a low cost to small start-up businesses and community groups and a training venue for the roller derby league.
They are the first regional roller derby club in WA to be accredited by the Women’s Flat Track Derby Association. Albany Roller Derby League is operated by volunteers, from executive and management committees to coaches.
The winners of the twelve award categories are:
- Boab Health Services of Broome – Insurance Commission of Western Australia Regional Safety Award
- Wheatbelt Secondary Freight Network Program – Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries Making a Difference Award
- Life and Soul Health and Fitness Club of Djugun – Prime Super Business Achievement Award
- Mirima Dawang Woorlab-gerring Language and Culture Centre of Kununurra – Curtin University, School of Education Teaching Excellence Award
- Les Wallam of Eaton – RAC Volunteering Award
- Froth Craft Brewery of Exmouth – Rinehart Development of Northern Regional WA Award
- Djarindjin Airport – Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development Economic Development Award
- Nanette Williams of Nickol – Community TAB Community Service Award
- WA iSports Inc of East Bunbury – Woolworths Community Group of the Year Award
- Shannon Richards of Boulder – Ricoh Australia Customer Service Award
- South West Community Care of Harvey – Prime Super Employer Excellence in Aged Care Award
- Albany Roller Derby League – Horizon Power Leadership and Innovation Award
Winners each received a $2,000 Award prize from Foundation Partner, Commonwealth Bank and a magnificent trophy.
Gravity ETC was announced as the 2019 People’s Choice Award Winner and received a $250 cash prize.
The Awards night was the culmination of a tremendously successful year with hundreds of nominations received from across regional Western Australia.